Saturday, April 21, 2012

Austria in 5 days ?

Hi



December 2005 will be my first visit to Austria - got only 5 days before I head for Davos. What are the %26quot;must - see%26quot; towns after Vienna? How do I distribute ? I love traditional towns and architectural / historic monuments.....




|||



I recommend to enjoy each place as much as possible instead of rushing from point to point. Five days are not much, I would focus on Vienna and Salzburg. Maybe you%26#39;re deeply impressed that you decide to come back soon.




|||



I totally agree.




|||



Yes focus on the cities but travel from Salzburg to Davos by train, right through the Tyrol. It takes about 6 hours (1030 to 1650)with 2 changes which I am sure will be held and the views should be wonderful.




|||



Prior poster is probably not aware of the current troubles on the route recommended.While the train trip in Tirol is scenic , please check the schedules for this train travel with very great care. As a result of serious floods this year, some tracks in Tirol must be rebuilt. Train



travel from Salzburg to Swiss is now mostly re-routed via Munich and you miss Tirol. Other trains go part of the way with transfers to a bus for a portion of the journey- not a good option and not convenient.



No date set that I know of for regular service being reopened. Hopefully this will be done by the time you travel.




|||



Vertical,





as far as I know the Arlberg line should be in service in November. But anyway, to travel to Davos the fastest public transport connection would be through Landeck - bus to Scuol - and then the Vereina line to Davos/Klosters. The damaged section of the Arlberg line is west of Landeck, and you aren´t touched by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment