Thursday, April 19, 2012

Customs/Immigration

I%26#39;m a UK citizen with a full 10-year British passport. I will be travelling to Munich in at the end of November to see the Christmas markets. Whilst I am there I plan to also take the train to Salzburg for a day.





My question is will I need through any kind of customs and immigration formalities at Salzburg Hauptbahnhof upon my arrival?




|||



SORRY! Will I need TO GO through...?




|||



I don%26#39;t think so. I came into Salzburg that way once travelling with my father on a non-European passport and when we got off the train and tried to find an official to whom he could show his passport, we were waved away with signs of annoyance!





However, I%26#39;ve heard that if you travel to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg you have to carry your passport so maybe they do sometimes perform spot checks ... But if you have a valid UK passport it shouldn%26#39;t make any difference in any event.





Rol




|||



There is no customs or immigration formalities at the station when you arrive from Germany (Schengen treaty). Actually there are no borders. It´s like travelling from Cambridge to Oxford...



But you have to carry your passport (driving licence is not enough) with you, because maybe for some reason you have to identify yourself.





greets...




|||



Thanks to both of you!




|||



Whenever you change countries within %26quot;Schengen%26quot; (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Island, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden, soon also Switzerland) you usually don%26#39;t need to show your passport or ID-card and there%26#39;s nobody who want%26#39;s to have a look on it. But crossing borders without passport/ID-card is forbidden...



You can take whatever you want within all EU countries, no customs exist, that%26#39;s one of the main principles of the EU.(Just some restrictions on alcohol and cigarettes/tabaco when entering from a former east block country).

No comments:

Post a Comment