Saturday, April 21, 2012

?'s About Dachau and Mauthausen Memorial Sites

I have been to Dachau, but it was almost 10 years ago. I was 16 at the time and now I will be taking my Honeymoon through Europe. We will be staying in Vienna for five days before heading onto Santorini. However, my fiance has never been to any of the Memorial (camp) sites before. I remember Dachau had a very moving video that was played. Is there a historical video shown at the Mauthausen Memorial like the one shown in Dachau?






|||



Maybe you can contact them, I%26#39;m sure they will help you!





www.mauthausen-memorial.at




|||



My wife and I visited Mathausen in June 2004. A very moving experience as I%26#39;m sure all of the camps are. They do have electronic audio guides you can get as you enter the work camp. These gadgets work fine and as you go from building to building you can punch in the corresponding number on your electronic recording and listen to the information through your earphones. I am not sure about a video as we were pushed for time and did not get to stay as long as we would wanted. It appeared they were expanding with a new building so possibly there will be some video available now. From Vienna you will be reasonably close to Mathausen and it is worth a visit. We had a rental car so it was easy to get there for us.




|||



Thanks for the help. I have emailed the memorial site and am still waiting to hear back. What I remember watching was a documentary--the term I should have originally used. It was about half an hour in length and one of the most moving pieces I ever saw. I wanted my fiance to have that same appreciation and humbleness I had after watching it. We didn%26#39;t mind making the trip to Dachau if it meant an opportunity to see it together. I would like to visit Mauthausen since it is closer, but it will be a great train ride to Munich if we can%26#39;t.





She has never really let herself watch the atrocities before, since she has always kept herself from viewing anything related to it. Yes, she is aware of went on, but never saw footage or the pictures taken through the years. She expressed to me that if we visited Dachau she she would open up to seeing what went on, but only if I was with her.




|||



Still looking for a definitive answer over whether a documentary is shown at Mauthausen. Thanks.




|||



I went to Mauthausen in 1998. They do have a documentary video that is very moving.




|||



Thank you I really appreciate the help. :)




|||



Due to the german version of their webpage, they show a 45 mins. film every hour. (in German, English, French and Italian). The last film starts 2 hours before closing. Some parts of the film can also be seen at their webpage (also in the english version, just click thru).




|||



I have been to many of the Holocaust memorials in Germany, Czech Republic, and Austria, including Dachau and Mauthausen. I have to say that I think Mauthausen is (at least for me) more moving than Dachau was. Mauthausen isn%26#39;t as heavily visited and it%26#39;s unsettling peacefulness comes across in a very meaningful way to those who haven%26#39;t had such an experience. Congrats on the wedding and good luck with your travels.




|||



I have been to many of the Holocaust memorials in Germany, Czech Republic, and Austria, including Dachau and Mauthausen. I have to say that I think Mauthausen is (at least for me) more moving than Dachau was. Mauthausen isn%26#39;t as heavily visited and it%26#39;s unsettling peacefulness comes across in a very meaningful way to those who haven%26#39;t had such an experience. Congrats on the wedding and good luck with your travels.




|||



Solleti,



Thanks for the insights. I really do appreciate it. Just from my own observations (surfing the internet) Mauthausen actually looks to be an even better area--more scenic than Dachau. After seeing the surrounding area I can begin to understand the scenery adding to the meaningfulness of the memorial. Thanks again and have a great day!



Regards,



Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment