Saturday, April 21, 2012

Going to Vienna this week...

Hi there - I%26#39;m actually going to Vienna at the end of the week and will be traveling alone -



1st question - Is it pretty safe to be walking around at night as long as I stick to the touristy areas?



2nd question - Any suggestion on places to eat (I%26#39;m a big foodie), coffee and %26quot;must see%26#39;s?%26quot;



Thanks! - I was reading all the posts and it%26#39;s already help me! :)




|||



Vienna is a very safe city. Take the usual precautions that you would take anywhere.



For good information regarding restaurants, tourist sights etc.



look at the information on trip advisor and look to



http:// info.wien.at ( english available )





This will provide good information for tourists.



It is hard to give you specific advise without knowing your %26quot; Likes and Dislikes%26quot;





Hofburg Palace and Museums nearby are a good place to start your sightseeing.





Also take a ride on the Streetcar 1 or 2 after you arrive to havea good introduction to the city.



Enjoy your visit.




|||



hi



yes it´s safe in Vienna.





The weather in Vienna is above normal level for October..it´s between 14-20°/57-68F so you can enjoy your stay with sunshine. About food..please check the thread:



Culinary tips for Vienna




|||



Lucky you, enjoy your trip! I was in February in Vienna, for the first time, traveling alone. I found it very safe indeed and very friendly. I did a lot of travelling by tube and tram, plus lots of walking around and never encountered or witnessed a problem.



I think part of it is that things like the transport are so efficient (certainly compared to the haphazardness at home sometimes), and then people in shops and cafes were so polite and helpful - it all added up to the impression of a society that was calm and in control, so it made me feel the same.



The only night time walking I did was from my hotel to the Opera, which wasn%26#39;t that far (the guide books say about a block but I don%26#39;t know how that translates into distance); nevertheless, I didn%26#39;t feel nervous at all.



I%26#39;m going back to Vienna at the end of November for a few days and then again in March. In March I%26#39;m taking a friend with me - but I could almost wish I weren%26#39;t - Vienna%26#39;s %26#39;mine%26#39;!!!!!



Enjoy!




|||



I know how you feel, Ailidh! I%26#39;ve been there a couple of times recently with friends and really, they are quite a hindrance! It%26#39;s so nice being able to belt round on one%26#39;s own in an orgy of self-indulgence :) Vienna is a superb city for a solo female traveller - for all the reasons people give here and a few more - *especially* the mysterious fact that one feels so comfortable eating alone there. I%26#39;ve absentmindedly wandered into swanky cafes in my own town and had the barstaff line up staring at me (%26quot;is she waiting for someone? should we serve her? if we ignore her do you think she%26#39;ll go away?%26quot;) but in Vienna, in cafes and restaurants there will be other women dining alone and thinking nothing of it. It%26#39;s fabulous!





There%26#39;s a thread elsewhere here with culinary recommendations which is pretty comprehensive ... and as for must sees - I guess I%26#39;d say try to take in a performance at the Volksoper if you get the chance - cheaper than the Staatsoper, fewer tourists and generally very jolly (and again, singletons welcome!) Information and tickets obtainable online here: www.volksoper.at





Rol, cross about the British idea of a cafe (pounding music and singles chased out with rottweilers)




|||



to be always on the safe side walking during night you must just look confident and have some witty replies



I walk on my own throught the resselpark (next to Karlskirche) at night time and no problem and this is one unsafe spot. As single woman you should just avoid late at night the streets around Westbahnhof, Prater since there is illegal prostitution and get asked by drivers about your %26quot;service%26quot;





I lived for some times in Glasgow and you couldn´t walk anywhere at night and the public transport system (%26gt; _ %26lt; ) argh.





So I am quite happy being back home. If you tell us what else you want to see just ask.




|||



Know what you mean about being comfortable dining alone, Roley. It%26#39;s kind of rubbed off, though: weekend after next I will be in another county of England, doing a recce on the area where I%26#39;m interviewing the following week. I was going to go for a nice, anonymous chain hotel but instead am opting for a cosy inn type, the kind where people will see me in their pub eating alone - and yah, sux to them lol!




|||



Thanks so much everyone! You have alleviate my concerns about traveling to Vienna alone - I%26#39;m looking forward to my adventure! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment