Thursday, April 19, 2012

sunday in Vienna

Hi all, I am about to start on my 2 weeks Eastern European trip, arriving in Vienna tomorrow. On my way back home, I will be Vienna again arriving by train from Budapest on a Sunday afternoon. It will be my last few hours in Vienna, alone,before my flight back to Singapore on Monday morn, any tips on what I could do to round up my trip of this part of the world ?




|||



No shopping on Sunday ( stores are closed)in Vienna. But much to do depending on your interests!





A visit to the Hofburg ( Winter Palace of the Emperors) is a good place to start. Look to Trip Advisor advice on attractions for more information)





Near to the Hofburg , you will find several excelent museums ( Fine Art, Natural History, Arms and armor, musical instuments) something for everyone.





If time permits, I would also recommend a visit to Palace Schonbrunn ( Summer Palace) and have a nice walk in the Gardens too. A surprisingly good restaurant is also on the grounds of Schonbrunn ( on the left as you enter the main gate in front of the palace) Have a Wiener Schnitzel or other regional food.





Or if you have more limited time - Take a ride on the Streetcar #1 or#2 that circle the %26quot; Ring%26quot; where you can see many of the most important buildings and sights in Vienna. Get off near the Hofburg Palace walk through some of the nice parks. Stop and eat or drink at the Palmenhaus in the park ( just behind the Hofburg) and facing the Ring.




|||



Re: the Museum of Ancient Musical Instruments. My background is in music, and this was one of the highlights of my recent vacation in Vienna. I was nearly moved to tears by some of the exhibits, including Prince Esterhazy%26#39;s baryton, a stringed instrument similar to a cello but with several sympathetic strings. There%26#39;s also an ancient %26quot;singing table%26quot;, with the words and the four parts inscribed around the rim of the table! I sang alone with the audioguide.





Just my two cents worth. The ticket to that museum also buys admission to an ancient Greek artifact collection and a collection of Austrian Armor, which I wish I%26#39;d had time to view.




|||



I am happy that ttlms mentions this museum. Unfortunately , it is often overlooked.





It has high quality exhibits-





The ancient exhibit has much to see from Greek- Roman cities in todays Turkey. The old city of Ephesus had numerous Austrians working to uncover the treasues there.



Some good examples of those times can be found now in this museum. The museum is in the Neue Hofburg, the last building constructed in this complex and is the one closest to the %26quot; Ring%26quot;. and facing Heldenplatz ( Heros Square. )

No comments:

Post a Comment