Sunday, April 15, 2012

Please help!!!! :)

Hi to everybody! Got the idea of using this forum to ask my questions, as I have been so impressed with the New York City one. My first question is to all those out there who are renting apartments in Vienna. How do you find them????? Myself and two others are coming to studying in Vienna next year (beginning of September) and want to rent a fully furnished apartment somewhere within the 10th district. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find websites, or any phonenumbers? We would prefer not to go through a relocation agency, because they charge one months rent in commission, but if this is all anybody knows of, please let me know as well, we are becoming slightly desperate :) Thank you so much in advance for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




|||



If you%26#39;re enrolled in a school or university, they should be able to give you advice and links for renting on the private market, if they don%26#39;t have halls of residence themselves. Usually that%26#39;s the best place to start because they%26#39;re only going to pass on information about reputable agencies etc and they might even have an accommodation office to help find you a flat. They might know too about informal newsgroups for people looking for accommodation/flatshares - all the university towns I%26#39;ve worked in in the UK have had them.





Otherwise I would try the newspapers - I think they all have classified listings for rentals which can be viewed online. There is a few sites put up by the English-speaking community in Vienna that have a few links about accomodation - this is one bulletin board www.awavienna.com/bulletin_housing.html



This is the general site I was thinking about



http://www.virtualvienna.net/ and that has some accommodation listings http://www.virtualvienna.net/realty/





But firstly I would try your school/university for advice/help.





Hope that helps - I do envy you, living in Wien!



rol, pea-green




|||



hi there,



you can find apartments online in the online versions of vienna newspapers. I assume you can understand german.



try:


www.kurier.at



and



www.derstandard.at



and click on the %26quot;Immobilien%26quot; sections and you will have no probs finding somthing in the 10th district...although are you sure you want this district? There are a lot of immigrants there and there are nicer areas. But anyway. Good luck!




|||



hi there,



you can find apartments online in the online versions of vienna newspapers. I assume you can understand german.



try:


www.kurier.at



and



www.derstandard.at



and click on the %26quot;Immobilien%26quot; sections and you will have no probs finding somthing in the 10th district...although are you sure you want this district? There are a lot of immigrants there and there are nicer areas. But anyway. Good luck!




|||



Hi! Thanks for the tips so far! I thought the nicest areas were the 8th%26amp;9th districts, so I just assumed that anything not outside of the 10th would be ok...we would like to be in a nice neighbourhood, somewhere close to the city centre, and with good access to the U. Where would you recommend? I don%26#39;t understand that much German (yet:) but being Norwegian, I can sort of read it, or at least make out alot of words and then piece together sentances and understand the gist of it :) So, I%26#39;ll check out those links you all gave me, although I have been to virtualvienna, and did not find much...Thank you all though! And if anyone can think of anything else, that would be wonderful!!!




|||



The 9th District may be the best for you. also look at the 18 and 19 as many strrecars will go from that area to near the university.





The newspapers really may not be to much help





Look more to the real estate companies - for example





www.wohnung.at



www.remax.at



www.thomas.at



www.orag.at



www.kalandra.at



www.stanzel.at





they will list apartments by district and size, give a good description and many have pictures.





Thus they can give you a good idea of what is available.





Note that the commission is usually 3 months rent not one as you mentioned. Also needed is a deposit generally equal to 3 months rent.





As you have found it is very hard to find apartments with a private party unles you know about the building.




|||



hi again,



if you are looking for a nice area I would agree the 8th is better. I would avoid the 10th definitely. Also, the 13th is nice with a Ubahn connection.





If I were you, I would put an ad online at derstandard.at or kurier.at, explaining what you are looking for. if you don%26#39;t know how to write in german write it in english!





I agree with above poster, the renting system through an agent is backwards here - you as the potential renting party have to pay out MASSIVE sums to the agents, e.g. 3 x the monthly rent as a commission and then you sually have to pay 3 x rent to the apartment owner as a deposit. You do the sums and I bet you havent got at least 4k lying around spare?





Would you be interested in a WG? (wohngemeinschaft)? they are always advertised and are a lot cheaper. Most students live in these here, but I have no idea how to go about it, as am working and have only been here 2 years.





If I were you though, my first stop would be to ring your uni where you are supposed to be going and ask for support in finding accomodation!!! They will surely have a department or union for overseas students.





Hope to have helped....



Mythos.




|||



Worse, you have to sign up for a MINIMUM OF THREE YEARS!As far as I KNOW(from looking in Sept).




|||



@Tina84,





Jei snakker ikke Norsk, jei snakke Tysk (that´s all I know)





you wanna escape Norway? my best friend did the other way round and lived 1 year in Kristiansund. So if you need help in Norwegian I could give you her email address and then she can help you to find a flat and for her she can train her Norwegian.




|||



Hi. I personally would recommend the internet, although you might have to pay high fees as those websites are managed by reality companies.



I advise you not to search a flat in the 10th district as it belongs to the worst districts and is rather far away from all the universities and downtown.



If you will study at the main university, you ought to look for an apartment in the 9zh, 8th or 18th district as they are close to the main university or easily reached by public means of transport. But everything depends, as I have mentioned a few times, on the location of your university. The 19th district might be no good advice as it is one of the most expansive ones.



In addition you could search, as soon as you are immatriculated, on the ÖH site which is the official website providing services from students for students. They often offer cheap lodging possibilities for students. (www.oeh.at)



Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment