Sunday, April 15, 2012

Restaurant recommendation in Salzburg

Just got back from a chilly weekend in Salzburg, to visit the newly-opened Christmas markets which were very jolly, as always. Snowing again this year but no wind so it felt positively mild! Both markets and shops full of tempting goodies; I went with an empty suitcase and came back with a lorryload of Kletzenbrot (among other things!)





Although I%26#39;ve mentioned it before, I wanted to repeat my recommendation of the Restaurant Weisses Kreuz, which is situated at the foot of the Fortress, behind the Cathedral. I had lunch there and it was definitely the best meal I had during my stay. They do Balkan specialities most of which I can%26#39;t actually spell, but I can eat them all right! The mixed platters are specially good value (you won%26#39;t need to eat again for several days...!) And for dessert, nothing beats their Milchraumstrudel with hot berries -slaver! They also seem to be one of the few places in Salzburg that can make a decent cup of coffee. Highly recommended, and worth the hunt to find them in the maze of streets in that part of town. They%26#39;re unusual too in having a separate non-smoking dining room among their assorted rooms for dining. Their website is



http://members.eunet.at/weisses.kreuz/



but sadly no menu available online for virtual drooling.





Rol, back in Oxford%26#39;s frozen fogs... wah!




|||



Welcome Home Roley!





Empty your suitcase quickly- You come to Vienna soon!





The bakers are working overtime upon learning of your trip.




|||



You said it! I could hardly lift my case once I%26#39;d packed it (mysteriously heavy, that stuff!) But you%26#39;ll probably spot a very large delivery truck arriving at Diglas in mid-December, as soon as they know I%26#39;m back in town ... ah, but there%26#39;s nothing like a *real* Viennese cafe - those Salzburgers make their coffee German-style and it just doesn%26#39;t do it for me! Where is the schlag?!! (Roley bangs spoon on the table)




|||



Hi Roley





I%26#39;m so jealous that you%26#39;ve been to the markets. We went last December and had a fantastic time. Can%26#39;t afford it this year, despite the cheap flights from Stanstead. I see from the webcams there%26#39;s snow on the ground. I can just imagine the Gluhwein flowing and the chestnuts roasting.





Thank you for telling us about Weisses Kreuz. We%26#39;ve often passed by it and thought about having a meal there. Some friends recommended it to us when we were there in August but we ran out of time to visit it. I particularly like to hear that they have a non-smoking restaurant. I have to wait until May to go back and I%26#39;m already counting the days off.





LizR.

No comments:

Post a Comment