Wednesday, April 25, 2012

anti-semitism

Have youexperienced anti-semitic incidents as a tourist or resident?




|||



No, as a matter of fact- Vienna in particular and Austria in general are truly trying to face up to their past and make right. I think that you see a lot more anti-senitism in the U.S.A. than you do in Austria.




|||



I lived there for a semester in college and never saw any evidence of anti-semitism. I did see a couple of instances when traveling in Germany, however.




|||



Last fall when I visited Vienna, I noticed a college student (I%26#39;m guessing she was a student) who had a pin on her backpack which had a swastika with a line through it. The opposite of anti-Semitism. Nice to see that!




|||



I was studying german in Vienna for a year and my boyfriend is viennese. I did not see much anti-semitism in Vienna but my boyfriend pointed out to me while we were walking through Stammersdorf that he saw a Nazi car pass by us. I was surprised he said that because I did not see any swastikas. He explained to me that the Nazi sympathizers use secret terms to express their views. The Car had a large sticker on it that stated %26quot;Berg 88.%26quot; The letter %26quot;H%26quot; is the eighth letter in the alphabet and the %26quot;88%26quot; equals %26quot;HH%26quot; which equals %26quot;Heil Hitler.%26quot;





From what I have seen in Vienna I would have to say that anti-semitism is frowned upon since the ones who are anti-semetic have to express their viewpoint in secret. So, to put it short, anti-semitism exists in Vienna but it is not the shared mindset of the masses. Most are ashamed of that portion in their history and are reminded of it every day.




|||



Its a shame they dont treat the arabs in the same manner as the viennese treat others.




|||



Villa..,what did you mean???




|||



The war ended 60 years ago, the newer generations are not fully familiar with the historical events. You learn a lot at school, but pupils are mostly not interested. (At this age it%26#39;s normal!) Nowadays almost all war participants have died, now it%26#39;s possible to discuss extensively, because there is nobody who can be blamed for anything! Ordinary Vienna residents don%26#39;t understand why all people believe we are anti-semitic.



The only occasion I spoke about Jews lately was when we were repeatedly blamed for being anti-semitic. You can imagine that people react disappointed if they%26#39;re charged unjustified.



Nevertheless there are groups attempting to distribute racist propaganda, but they%26#39;re not very successful.







Quote: Last fall when I visited Vienna, I noticed a college student (I%26#39;m guessing she was a student) who had a pin on her backpack which had a swastika with a line through it. The opposite of anti-Semitism. Nice to see that!







Wearing such stickers doesn%26#39;t imply being a good human with decent imagination. Those young persons often belong to left-wing groups, most of them just naive and unorganised, others play active roles in the extreme-left or anarchy wing becoming a serious threat in Europe. Such subjects often loiter at stations begging for money, in order to support their survival and fight against capitalism! Don%26#39;t trust such subjects only because they wear swastika with a line through it!




|||



I Take it we are all adults on this site? Jew, Black, Pink, Yellow, White , whatever, we are all people, able to travel and communicate, we all have our views, likes and dislikes.Your not here long make the most of it, we don`t have to hate anybody, just get on with your life, I know it can be tough, I don`t believe in any god, life is for living and do it,. Im White English, have loads of mates who are black, asian, muslim, gay, some i can not describe, so what! Should I say I don`t like French people because of what happened in the past, or German people for bombing my mum out of 2 houses in the war, no , its in the past, it hurts maybe, . ! just get on and stop the rot, chill out a bit please, Dave




|||



Hi far99, the person has not got the bottle to reply, or was drunk, or just after a response, which they got, One Who Conquers Onself is The Greatest Warrior!




|||



Okey -dokey Mikey in Vienna, but I will go on believing this young lady wearing the anti-swastika pin was countering the neo-nazi movement that%26#39;s been going on there for I don%26#39;t know how long. It was first brought to my attention by a German friend of mine in the early nineties who made frequent trips to Vienna for her job at the U.N. So I see this pin and think the problem with neo-nazis still exists, in the same manner as the white supremacist groups exist in the U.S., in such places as Idaho and some southern states.

No comments:

Post a Comment