Monday, April 23, 2012

Prague- Salzburg-Venice- Rome- Geneva- Paris

I have the beginning and end of my trip worked out ( I think). First I fly from London to Prague and stay for 4 days. I fly from Geneva out to Paris Charles de Gaule, where I flight home awaits me.



It is the middle part that is getting me. I don%26#39;t know whethor it is worth getting a Eurail pass and then having my family ship it to me here in London.



But my plan is to take night trains from Prague to Salzburg. Then another train (night train or not I%26#39;m not sure) from Salzburg to Venice. Then a train from Venice to Rome.



From then I think I shall fly to Geneva, stay for a few days, and then head to Paris.



I am a dispalced American student living in London and becoming very poor for it. I also don%26#39;t ahve much time after term ends. So cost and time effectiveness is key for me.



I would love any help on finding train costs and working this trip out.




|||



You will not save any $ with a Eurail pass for travel from Prague to Salzburg to Venice to Rome. Train travel in the Czech Republic and Italy is very inexpensive.



Prague to Salzburg train schedules at: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en



From: Praha hl.n. To: Salzburg Hbf



7h 04m, runs daily, normal 2nd class fare is 54.30 Euro - €



Salzburg to Venezia S. Lucia via Villach Hbf train schedule at:



http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/index.jsp



6h 22m, runs daily, normal 2nd class fare is 82.00 €



Italy train schedules at: http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html



From: Venezia S. Lucia To: Roma Termini



Click on Shopping Cart to find fare



4h 33m, runs hourly, normal EuroStar 2nd class fare is 44.93 €




|||



A recent post on another thread states that the train schedules will change on December 11, so much may depend on your date of travel. From Prague to Salzburg, at least prior to that date, I think you%26#39;ll find that except for 1 train, which arrives very, very late at night, multiple changes of train are involved. The exception may or may not involve sleeper accommodations, I don%26#39;t recall.





Last month we needed to make that trip in the other direction, but decided to break the journey by overnighting in Linz. It turned out that, if I understand correctly, from Salzburg through to Prague there was only to be a couchette (sleeper) on a train from Switzerland to Vienna, to be switched at Linz onto a Czech Railways train to Prague originating at Linz. We took that Czech train (Linz-Prague), but saw no sign of any through car from Salzburg or points west. So I suggest reading the timetables very, very carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment