Monday, April 23, 2012

Vienna City card??

Hi..



All of you have been super helpful in helping me organize this trip. I notice that many of the cities.. have a City card.. the one for vienna is 17Euro with unlimited transport, discounts etc. There is one for Budapest as well.



Are these generally worthwhile.. I don%26#39;t mind using them for musems but I always feel the restaurant people resent them. Comments on these cards appreciated..




|||



I always feel they%26#39;re slightly naff, plus it%26#39;s hard to get the value out of the sites on them, unless you visit an incredible number of sites in the 3 day lifespan. I%26#39;ve never used one in a restaurant. The only city card I%26#39;ve used was for Berlin (same principle) and I%26#39;d never get one for any city again - although I know some people swear by them. Maybe it%26#39;s more value if you can get a family discount on them?





A travel card is a must, though. It gives you so much freedom, just to be able to jump on Vienna%26#39;s fantastic integrated transport system and zoom off wherever. I don%26#39;t know enough to know if there are machines at all Ubahn stations for them but there certainly is at the Airport station, where I got mine last time.





Enjoy your trip - I bet you%26#39;ll be hooked!




|||



If you basically want it as a ticket for the public transportation - don%26#39;t buy the Vienna Card.



the Vienna card is valid for 72 hours (from the moment you validate it). there is a regular 3 day ticket for 12,00 euro which works just the same way.





the Vienna card is mostly for the museums, some offer a 2-5% reduction, some will give you a gift, some a special offer (don%26#39;t know what that%26#39;s all about).



I don%26#39;t know which museums you are interested in but I know from experience that you won%26#39;t spend 72 hours in museums.





restaurants in Vienna don%26#39;t offer any discounts with the Vienna card. mostly what is mentioned are coffeehouses. either again a special discount or a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment