Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sight seeing in Vienna

I will be driving from Munich to Vienna with my family of 4 persons. Can anyone suggest whether I should drive my car in Vienna. What%26#39;s the traffic like in Vienna and what will be the parking charges like in the city or should I leave my car at the hotel. For sight seeing is the distance far or use local commuter subways. What sort of Passes are avaiable for sight seeing and for commuter travel as I plan to stay 3 days in Vienna. Please advise.




|||



On the commuter travel question: you can get a 72-hour ticket from machines at all Ubahn (Underground) stations which you can use on buses, trams and underground. They%26#39;re great value. I%26#39;m sure you can buy them other places too, I just know I bought mine at the Ubahn. You can also buy Vienna cards, which include the 3-day travel, with discounts to some sites. I didn%26#39;t bother with this, though, I didn%26#39;t find any of the admission charges all that expensive.





Enjoy Vienna!




|||



Vienna is not a city for cars. Parking in garages is very expensive ( 30euros+- per day) Parking on streets is not recommended as various rules apply for parking. These rules are often hard for visitors to understand as rules vary by area and an active police ticketing and /or tow away causes problems.



Only exception is parking in the outer districts of the city where parking rules will not apply or by your hotel.



Traffic is usually heavy.



Find a place to park your car and leave it for your stay.



It is much better to take the excelent Vienna Transport System.Almost all major tourist sights are within a few minutes ride from most places in the city.



Tickets also available at most all Tabaks ( newspaper and cigarette shops) and numerous stations with ticket windows.



As prior poster mentioned, the 3 day card is best.




|||



Thanks for your reconmendations

No comments:

Post a Comment