Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sacher!

Can you guys recommend me a good (but not outrageously expensive) pastry shop where to buy a Sacher torte? ...shop should be preferably close to the city center...



Do you also have any idea about how much does it cost?



Thanks for your inputs! :-)




|||



Try the shops of %26quot;Aida%26quot;. Many throughout Vienna.





One easy to find is that in city center at Stephansplatz- on a corner.





Prices depends on size 15-25 euro




|||



Would be available at the hotel [Philharmonikerstraße 4, city centre, opposite the State Opera, 5 minutes fom the %26quot;Hofburg%26quot; Imperial Palace, close to Ringstraße]: http://wien.sacher.com/index_en.asp?lan=1



or in 4 sizes on-line: https:/…




|||



I believe the original poster was looking for a %26quot; good but not outrageously expensive pastry shop%26quot; to buy their Sacher. I answered that question.





In my opinion the Sacher, Sacher Torte, is not only not that good ( consensus says it is too dry and without good taste) but also outrageously expensive for what is received.But tourists can not wait to buy it.





Many locals buy their Sacher Torte, found in the freezer cases of area markets such as Billa or Spar. 9-10 euro for a large Torte- very good. Better than the three times more expensive Sacher in my opinion.




|||



I don%26#39;t care for the Sacher Sacher-torte either; it always tastes stale to me. I like Demel%26#39;s version - but it%26#39;s very expensive and again, at times when I%26#39;ve bought it there, it hasn%26#39;t been very fresh. I don%26#39;t think Sacher keeps very long, so not worth spending a lot of money on.





The cakes at Aida are no-frills but still tasty so I imagine their Sacher would fit the bill for the poster.





I always think it%26#39;s a pity that in a city like Vienna which has more luscious cakes per square mile than any other, the tourists end up eating grisly old Sacher. Much better to try sticky delights like Kremeschnitte (cream slice), Topfenstrudel (quark strudel), or my personal favourite, Dobostorte (no English name for this - just a lot of chocolate mousse and toffee welded together!) Of course, none of these can be transported as souvenirs - but they can be enjoyed on the spot!





r (Naschkatze!)




|||



my most favourite cake is %26quot;DOMSPITZ%26quot; from Do%26amp;Co. it´s a puppy seat cake with chocolate cover..really tasty but of course not cheap eighter. IF you go to AIDA try Topfenstrudel there, is always fresh and delicious (and not as expensive as the other one)





If you want to bring home something get good chocolates, candies etc which are easier to transport




|||



The Domspitz sounds delicious - I%26#39;ll add that to my list of things to try! I%26#39;ve never had the Aida Topfenstrudel but their Kremeschnitten are great. I like the Topfenstrudel in Cafe Tirolerhof - very tart and lemony with big juicy sultanas - yum!





R

No comments:

Post a Comment