Thursday, March 29, 2012

Top Austrian/Viennese Restaurant

I don%26#39;t know about everyone else, but I find that I can%26#39;t truly trust concierges when I travel. I feel that they always send me somewhere that is going to give them a kick back. They usually hand me a card and say %26quot;tell them that Bill sent you%26quot; and I%26#39;m usually disappointed. I am looking for a very honest- %26quot;what is the top Austrian restaurant in Vienna.%26quot; I would like to experience authentic, not touristy Austrian fair- but high-end. If you were in Vienna, had $5000 Euros to spend on dinner- where would you go?




|||



hi nice that you want to spend that much money. I can tell you which restaurants I tried out, not all of them are considere %26quot;luxury%26quot;





The best restaurant with Austria beef specialities is Plachutta





http://www.plachutta.at/en/home/





Korso (in the hotel Imperial)



Mahlerstraße 2



1010 Wien





starwoodhotels.com/westin/…





Zum schwarzen Kameel



Bognergasse 5



1010 Wien



http://www.kameel.at/







I haven´t been there but these 2 restaurants are to be said of the best:





Palais Coburg



palais-coburg.com/html/gourmet_restaurant.ht…







Meinl am Graben



www.meinlamgraben.at/meinl.aspx?target=106763




|||



See a



prior posting regarding good restaurants on this site some days ago.





Several recent surveys in Vienna list top rstaurants ( published in nespaper and top Restaurant guide.)





Meinl am Graben



Steirereck im Stadtpark



Korso ( in Bristol Hotel)



Palais Coburg



Eckel



The above will sereve International and Austrian specialties of the highest standard with excelent wine lists also.



While prior poster lists Plachutta- a very good restaurant - you will not find it on a top list of restaurants.





Morwald in the Ambassador Hotel was formerly on many lists, but lately seems to be losing to others.



They do have a good selection of Austrian meat specialties




|||



Thank you very much! I don%26#39;t have $5,000 Euros to spend...but I will be on expense account-the sky is the limit.




|||



Spend! Spend!





Be certain to order some good wine also!




|||



Vertical is right !( %26quot;spend! spend!%26quot;)





I%26#39;ve recently been in Palais Coburg and was quite disappointed (of course, it wasn%26#39;t really bad, it cannot be on that level and for that money) but I felt quite touristy and there is plenty of better food elsewhere in Vienna . . . If you want to go for good old Vienna flair try Meinl%26#39;s restaurant on the Graben. And definitely try some Austrian wine which is really good and getting better and better !




|||



@stacey0131





It really depends now what you really want.



Do you really want to go to the best restaurants acc to the critics or do you really prefer the most authentic Viennese/Austrian food





if you go for the authentic food



then good restaurants with high standards like





Plachutta



Glacie Beisl



Stöger



Schwarzer Adler etc





would be my recommendation.





I moved the culinary thread up to give you more information about Viennese cuisine.




|||





I would like to remind posters to this thread that Austrian/ Viennese cuisine is really a mix of ingredients and recipes from the former Empire.



Thus the cuisine is truly an international mix of Bohemia, Balkans, Hungarian, Austrian and others. A restaurant can be %26quot; High End%26quot; and still serve this authentic viennese food.





Perhaps some list their personal favorite restaurants that may not be considered %26quot; High - End %26quot; the original poster was inquiring about.





For visitors looking for truly the best, it may be best to rely on surveys as well as recommendations.




|||



I%26#39;m tempted to say that if I were in Vienna and had €5000 to spend at a restaurant I%26#39;d buy a ticket to NYC and eat at Alain Ducasse. The truth is I%26#39;m more of a museum and attraction tourist than foodie. That said, I particularly enjoyed the food and service at Cafe Demel and at Cafe Hofburg, and particularly did not enjoy my Sachertorte at the Sacher coffee shop (on Kärtnerstrasse, not the cafe). I can%26#39;t say I didn%26#39;t enjoy the service there; there was no service to enjoy or hate. BTW I had a great time at Cafe Weimar, which served up a wonderfully fluffy plate of eggs to absorb the too-many bottles of beer I had after the Volksoper.





The restaurant at Hotel Sacher looked inviting the last night I was there, when we ate in the Cafe.




|||



I think stacey0131 got now a lot of restaurants in Vienna and I hope you will enjoy your stay.




|||



re Euros 5000



Does one really have to fly all the way back to the states? Just trip down Ave Montaigne


Paris - Hotel Georges Cinq where Mr.Duchasse is not unknown.



Also why not eat in Sachers Restaurant?


To miss opportunity rather like taking a ham sandwich to the Lord Mayor%26#39;s dinner



Godd hunting Gerlis

No comments:

Post a Comment