Friday, March 23, 2012

Vienna Hotel Recommendations

We will be travelling to Vienna in late July and are looking for a decent place to stay for a family of 4 in the city center. I have offers of ~150 euro (per night incl BF) for Pension Suzanne, Hotel Austria and City Pension; and an offer of ~200 euro for Pension Nossek. Do members have any experience / recommendations for any of these or comparable lodgings? Thanks.




|||



Ailidh can write in favour of Suzanne, where she often stays - have a look for her comments elsewhere in this forum.





I%26#39;ve often stayed at Nossek and I like it very much. It%26#39;s rather olde worlde but squeaky clean, the location is about the best in all Vienna, and the people are very pleasant and efficient. I%26#39;m staying there for a trip I%26#39;m taking in May.





Hotel Austria (which I%26#39;ve seen but at which I haven%26#39;t stayed) has a few more room facilities than Nossek in terms of tvs, minibars and the like - but the location is not as central as Suzanne or Nossek. It%26#39;s a nice area, and quite convenient (I often stay in pensions near there myself - Hotel Austria is a bit too expensive for my budget!) but for a first visit you might like to be right in the thick of things.





I%26#39;ve stayed a couple of times at the City Pension too and I%26#39;m afraid I wouldn%26#39;t recommend it. The staff are pleasant and the location is excellent for the price - but it is noisy (very poor soundproofing betweeen rooms) and worst of all, the plumbing in some of the rooms leaves much to be desired. If you flush the loo and run the tap over the basin at the same time, you *will* regret it. There%26#39;s about one decent room in the Pension (room 3 which is a single) but with the others you would be taking a risk ...





Of the ones you name, my personal first choice would be Nossek because of the excellent location and good service.





Have you considered the Pertschy chain of Pensions? Their Pension Pertschy, Aviano, and Christina are all centrally located and well run. Their website is www.pertschy.com I usually stick to Nossek, Pertschy and Christina when I%26#39;m in Vienna.





Rol




|||



I meant to add (duh, hit the post key too soon) that the rooms at Nossek are particularly spacious. Are you considering their two-bedroom suite? Though it%26#39;s more expensive than the other properties you mentioned, I think you%26#39;ll find the extra space useful for a large party. I stay in their single rooms which are huge, with particularly nice, well-designed bathrooms.





R




|||







Much information regarding Vienna hotels on this forum recently. Review prior posts for information on many hotels and pensions including those mentioned above.




|||



Thanks, Roley for that detailed info. So, the choices boil down to: (a) 2-room suite at Nossek for 206E, (b) 4-bed room at Austria for 169E, and (c) 3-bed room with extra bed at Suzanne for 139E. Any final thoughts on these choices?





BTW, I did take a look at the Pertschy chain prices, and they seem to creep up to 200E for 4 people.





I must add that the info on this forum is extremely useful. Thanks y%26#39;all!




|||



Glad to be of help! Yes, the Pertschy pensions don%26#39;t seem to have so many of the large rooms - they cater more to couples and singles, I suspect.





Leaving aside the question of Pension Suzanne because I don%26#39;t know it myself I would say ...





As for the choice between Austria and Nossek - I would incline to Nossek myself because I fancy the two rooms rather than having everyone in together - but having said that, I believe Hotel Austria does have %26quot;apartment%26quot; rooms so it might be worth checking with them whether the 4-bed room they%26#39;ve offered you is actually one of their the two-bedroom %26quot;apartment%26quot; suites.





If that%26#39;s the case, then the difference between them probably comes down to facilities and location. Let me see if I can think up some pros and cons ...





Nossek:



Pros - location right in the middle of things on the Graben with many sights and shops to hand (eg. Hofburg, St Stephens, Albertina, all a matter of minutes walk away)



-loads of cafes and restaurants right to hand



- Julius Meinl, delicious gourmet food store/supermarket literally on your doorstep (that could be a con, I suppose!)



- roomy rooms, pleasant helpful owners on the premises, super clean, good bathrooms



Cons - not all the rooms have a TV (may be a consideration for the younger members of your party!)



- breakfast quite a plain continental breakfast (very nice but not a huge choice).



-no minibar, which might be inconvenient in hot weather





Austria:



Pros - close to good transport links on Schwedenplatz, including the airport bus, the ring trams, and direct services via tram to the Prater, and U4 to Schoenbrunn



- minibar in the room which might be handy if anyone wants to store some cold drinks! It does get hot in Vienna so this might be a consideration (since it%26#39;s expensive to be buying such things in cafes all the time)



-loads of cafes and restaurants right to hand (and a little cheaper than the ones you get up by the Graben)



-supermarket and postoffice in the same street



Cons - 5-10 minute walk from St Stephens which is the actual centre of town. At the bottom of a small hill too which means you will be walking uphill to reach anywhere!





I suppose in the final analysis I usually choose Nossek because I love being right in the middle - but when I stay on the Schwedenplatz it can be more convenient for travelling to places outside the centre. But there%26#39;s probably not that much in it because the centre of Vienna is so small (the distance between these hotels would be a fifteen minute walk, tops). So you might decide to let price be the deciding factor!





Not a lot of help, but some more information for you to consider!



r




|||



Roley gives great advice and descriptions about these places.





Only thing I can add re Nossek- For late sleepers- this area can be noisy early in the morning as stores receive deliveries and trash is removed during a few hours when the Foot zone can be used by vehicles.



They usually start by 7 AM.




|||



Hi , I booked Pertschy for our family of five, Nossek was sold out(it looked great!) and was told by these very kind and helpful people, that Austria was a little further from the center o things. We were going to book Neuer Markt (very inexpensive), but my aunt said she stayed there about 30 years ago and it was a bit dumpy then, so unless it has been updated, I would steer clear of that one.




|||



Also, you can try the Marriott, they hold four in a room, no breakfast included but I hear they have a great indoor pool. They give AAA discounts, senior discouts, and a special pay-in full with no cancellation price.




|||



Roley, thanks so much for that detailed analysis! I am leaning towards Hotel Austria because it is a bit cheaper, a bit quieter and bit closer to public transportation than Nossek. Vienna will be a 3-day stopover during a 2-week Switzerland, Germany and Austria trip. I will be back with more questions about Vienna as summer approaches.





Vertical and Spinach, thanks for your comments.





You guys are awesome in terms of your knowledge of Vienna as well as interest in helping people like me!





Much appreciated,





sxm

No comments:

Post a Comment